This module introduces Big Data, a term which relates to the management and analysis of sets of data that are typically too large for traditional data-processing software.
Most businesses and organisations deal with large volumes of data on a day to day basis. It is what organisations do with the data that matters. Big data can be analysed for insights that lead to better decisions and strategic business moves.
This module is suitable for a wide range of candidates; for example, non-technical professionals who wish to build and demonstrate an understanding of Big Data, facilitating engagement with their technical colleagues or their suppliers, or students who wish to add general technical knowledge to sector-specific or general studies.
Build an understanding of the key concepts, and potential of Big Data implementation
|What is big data?||
|The big data environment||
|Big data in practice||
|Big data adoption||
Main learning outcomes
The Big Data module consists of e-learning followed by a brief certification test. Together, these components deliver a short, focused professional development solution. On completion, candidates will be able to:
- understand the term big data and its evolution, and recognise drivers behind its expansion
- recognise key aspects of big data relating to storage technologies, analysis, and visualisation
- recognise examples of big data implementation in a range of sectors
- identify considerations for adoption of big data, including investment, practical challenges, business potential, and ethical issues
- recognise steps for exploiting big data in a specific scenario or situation
Why certify with ICDL?
- ICDL certification is internationally recognised by employers and institutions.
- ICDL Insights modules combine cutting-edge e-learning with a brief certification test to demonstrate your mastery of the relevant concepts and good practice.
- ICDL Insights modules can be coupled with more comprehensive, skills-focused modules to build a profile of skills, knowledge, and competences that are relevant to your career.
- ICDL syllabus content is vendor- independent so that skills, knowledge, and competence are transferable.
The detailed syllabus for the Big Data module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
Offer ICDL Insights in your school or organisation
You can use ICDL as a training centre, a school or college, or for your own staff within your organisation.
To offer ICDL certification, find out more and contact us here.
Find an ICDL course near you
Certifying your digital skills with ICDL is simple:
- Assess your existing skills with a Diagnostic Test
- Build your skills during a course or through learning in your own time
- Certify your skills and earn an ICDL certificate
To get started, find an ICDL Accredited Test Centre near you