The Coding Principles module covers the main concepts and skills needed to use code and computational thinking. It helps develop the skills used to create simple computer programmes.
Computational thinking is used in many job roles, not just programme and software development. Coding is becoming the new standard of literacy, with skills used in roles as varied as art and design, engineering, data analysis, and science. Computing develops related skills such as problem- solving, pattern recognition, abstraction, and algorithms.
This module is suitable for a wide range of candidates, including students and those who would like to develop their IT skills. Computer science is a broad field and its applications continue to grow.
Develop computational thinking abilities and the skills needed to code simple computer programmes.
|Computational thinking methods||
|Starting to code||
|Building using code||
|Test, debug and release||
Main learning outcomes
Successful candidates will be able to plan and create simple programmes. The computational thinking skills developed in this module are transferrable to other types of role. After passing this module, candidates will feel confident analysing problems and writing, testing, and modifying algorithms. They will be able to:
- understand key concepts in computing and the typical activities involved in creating programmes
- recognise and use computation thinking techniques such as problem decomposition and pattern recognition
- identify problems and develop solutions
- write and build with code
- apply project management methodologies such as test, debug, and release
The detailed syllabus for the Coding Principles module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
Offer ICDL in your school or organisation
You can use ICDL as a training centre, a school or college, or for your own staff within your organisation.
To offer ICDL certification, find out more and contact us here.
Find an ICDL course near you
Certifying your digital skills with ICDL is simple:
- Assess your existing skills with a Diagnostic Test
- Build your skills during a course or through learning in your own time
- Certify your skills and earn an ICDL certificate
To get started, find an ICDL Accredited Test Centre near you